| || |
Creating an aquaponics system takes many steps to carry out.
The first thing we did was start with an idea. We sketched out many ideas of working table top systems and chose the most efficient and unique design. The next step we accomplished was creating a prototype.
We started with a cardboard prototype and downsized it after noticing how large it was. We created many prototypes until we found the perfect size. After the prototype was done, we measured out a good size for the system and measurements for each wall, and this was part of the creation for our scale drawing. We had to take in account the thickness of the plexiglass and how they would fit together. With the scale drawing done, we created a schematic to show exactly how each piece would fit and a list of the pieces, labeled. The final prototype was to be done now. We used a different material which was foam core.
We had to make sure that everything was fitting perfectly. When our prototype was completed, we were able to order the pieces for the plexiglass. When we received our plexiglass, but the angles were not perfectly cut at a right angle which meant that we had to sand the pieces. We sanded the pieces smooth and to a right angle so the glue would stick perfectly. We drilled drain holes so the system would drain when the pump turned off. Our most critical step was to glue. We had to tape the pieces one by one and slowly insert the glue while adding pressure. When all the pieces were glued tightly, we noticed that we had some spaces and had to fill it in with a thicker glue, which also fixed any leaks. With the pieces glued together, we are done with our aquaponic system and just have to insert the pump and pipe.
Our aquaponic tabletop is now a working systems with the pump and pipe installed. We filled our system with water in the fish tank and can now watch our system overflow and trickle from the growbed, back into the tank. The drain hole works how we wanted and pushes water slowly out from the growbed if the pump were to be turned off. The pump pumps a good amount of water into the growbed which will soon be filled with rocks and plants. Although we have a completed system, we are possibly going to change some things. We are worried that the water flows to close to the edge of the outside growbed. We might poke holes so instead of the water flowing over the growbed, it will shoot out of the holes. This weekend, our group will be getting fish and gravel to use in our system after our final touches.