Winning quote of the day: Noah Failauga "The government of Oceania is at war with its own people." Could this be true? Are there signs that the people of Oceania are the real enemy of the Government?
Team B: What is winston doing with his diary? How does he feel?
Winston is writing in his diary every thing that has been bothering him for years, he just wanted to get it all out.While winston writes he barley even knows what he's saying he cant control not being able to say all this stuff and have to keep it locked up inside him. Winston is writing things about how he's against the party. He had been writing "down with big brother" and when he realizers that he knew there would be a problem. Winston can not trust anyone because anyone could be a spy. If someone finds his diary it would not be a good day for winston.
Who is the Parsons family, and how does Orwell use them to help us understand more about Oceania?
The Parsons family is Winston’s neighbors. Orson shows us the family dynamics in Oceania. The kids are crazy and attack Winston. He refers to them as cubs who are gonna turn into monster eating tigers. Mrs. Parsons is afraid of her kids because of how much manipulated they are. The government posts a weekly “child hero” who denotes there parents. The government choses to use kids as spies because they live with families and because they can be manipulated very easily. This shows that Oceania is a very horrid place to live because you can’t trust anyone which leads to Winston being very paranoid.
Team D: Winston's job is the forger he takes all of the governments propaganda and refines it. he make it better and make the message clearer. for example the purging. the government kills people that opposes big brother. everything that Winston dose is confidential he keeps information that that will hurt the government and changes it. he sees and hears things that no other ordinary person will every know.he likes his job but he does not like the government.
Team C:1.He flashes back to a fuzzy memory of his mom, dad, and sister. His mom and sister are below him and his father in a saloon of a ship. His mom and sister fade into death and Winston feels responsible because he remembers something about his mom and sister being sacrificed to save his life.
2. That he is an orphan and that probably means that he is depressed and it also shows why he does not like the government, because they killed his mother and sister
3. The government workers start their day by doing calisthenics. The calisthenics help them to become physically fit, prepare them for the war, and another way to control there physical appearance
4. It shows you that they actually do follow though with there promises and the telescreen actually works
5. It helps us understand the society better because it shows us how much they can control and to keep them ready for war
6. The way they use war is another way to control there people war can keep there people fit and scared and to keep them thinking that they can go into war so they still seem powerful
7. They use the television to control the people of Oceania. Every morning, people of a certain age get up and the first thing they do is calisthenics. They do this because Oceania is constantly at war and they need to stay at the top of their physical ability. They also control the people by brainwashing them into thinking that they are constantly at war and currently they are at war with Eurasia. They have supposedly been at war with Eurasia for forever, but Winston knows that they had an alliance 4 years ago. If you have the illusion that your country is always at war, you country looks to be stronger then it really is.